School Teacher Shot Dead in Domestic Dispute


Man Critical Following Attempted Suicide

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO — Investigators probing the murder of Sangre Grande teacher and mother of five, Margaret Ragoobar-Guevarra, have been told that she lived a life of constant abuse at the hands of a male relative, according to a news report.

The Trinidad and Tobago Newsday reported that officers were also informed by relatives of the victim that the 42-year-old woman opted not to report the acts of violence committed against her because she did not want to disrupt her children’s life.

Relatives were reported by the newspaper as telling investigators that they often observed strange black-and-blue marks, scratches and other injuries from Guevarra and when inquired, she made excuses, claiming that she had fallen or suffered the injuries while doing housework.

Guevarra’s brother, who is a homicide officer assigned to the Northern Division, remained inconsolable following his sister’s death, saying had he known the truth, he could have saved his sister from her demise.

The five children of Guevarra, whose ages range from 11 to 17 are now being cared for by relatives and funeral arrangements are yet to be finalised, Newsday reported.

The suspect in Guevarra’s murder remains warded in critical condition at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the Port of Spain General Hospital following an attempted suicide, and is to undergo reconstructive surgery.

He remained under police guard at the ICU and none of his relatives were allowed to visit except to provide clothing and toiletries. Sources revealed that the man continues to be in a lot of pain, and has been asking for his children. On Monday shortly after 7 am, the man used his licensed shotgun to kill Guevarra at her Coalmine, Sangre Grande home. He then attempted suicide by shooting himself once in the head, the Newsday report said.

Margaret Ragoobar-Guevarra

Ragoobar-Guevarra was shot dead in the bedroom of the family’s Sangre Grande home by a male relative who then turned the shotgun on his own self in a failed suicide attempt.

One of Margaret Ragoobar Guevarra’s children, a 16-year-old girl, made the gruesome discovery when she heard gunshots and then her mother’s screams. The teacher was already dead while the male relative lay motionless nearby, breathing but barely conscious, with a gunshot wound to the head.

The girl, identified as Hope Guevarra, 16, started screaming which alerted neighbours who contacted the police. Officers arrived at the house located off Mandillon Road and found the woman’s children and neighbours gathered in the yard. Hope later told police that at about 7.45 am, she was awakened by the sound of gunshots coming from her mother’s bedroom. Screams were then heard.

Hope said when she tried to open the bedroom door, it was locked. She found a spare key and on opening the door, was greeted by a horrific scene as her mother lay dead on the floor next to the male relative.

As police processed the scene, neighbours took charge of Guevarra’s children and gave them not only solace and hugs but also breakfast. Guevarra’s brother, a policeman assigned to Northern Division, arrived at the scene and ordered neighbours to leave the yard to allow investigators to do their work. Media personnel were also told to stand on the roadside.

Neighbours said that Guevarra and the male relative were having domestic problems but they never expected him to use his licensed shotgun to commit murder.