Suspect Admits to Murder of Guyana Goldfields Manager, Leads Cops to Murder Weapon

Neil Whyte

GUYANA – A suspect has admitted to the murder of Guyana Goldfields Inc. supply chain manager Neil Whyte and has led investigators to the recovery of a number of items belonging to the dead man, according to a news report.

Police spokesman Jairam Ramlakhan was reported by the Stabroek News as saying that after the suspect admitted to committing the crime, he took investigators to a Fifth Street, Albertown location, where he handed over several items belonging to Whyte.

Among the items handed over was a knife, which is suspected to be the murder weapon, the newspaper reported.

An autopsy conducted on Friday revealed that Whyte, 42, a Canadian citizen, who was found nude and bound at his Lot 258 Thomas Street, North Cummingsburg apartment on Monday evening, died as a result of multiple stab wounds.

The suspect, a 20-year-old man of Middle Road, La Penitence, was arrested around 8.30 pm on Wednesday on the East Coast of Demerara in the vicinity of the Giftland Mall.

The car in which he was arrested in was also impounded by the police. He was among two persons who were taken into custody. The first, an ex-employee of Whyte. Up to press time it was not clear what would be the fate of the first suspect, a 25 year old man who was arrested in Canje, Berbice.

According to reports, White was found stabbed and slashed to death on his bed. He was completely naked and his hands were tied with his mouth gagged. His laptop, cash, gold and other personal valuables are reportedly missing.

Online news agency, News Source, reported that earlier in the night, Whyte left the apartment and returned in the company of a young man. A few hours after, the young man was seen emerging from the apartment complex with a black haversack and told security that he would be returning a bit later.

However, according to one news report, the suspect reportedly walked to the junction of Thomas and Middle Street, where he joined a car that drove away.

The security guard went to Whyte’s apartment to check on him, as is part of the protocol at the building when visitors leave. It was then that the gruesome discovery was made. The security immediately called in the Police and an investigation was launched.