GEORGETOWN, Guyana (Sept 10, 2017) – One year after the authorities launched a major initiative to reduce the number of fatal vehicular accidents, they are reporting a 22 per cent decrease.
Last year, there were 116 accidents resulting in 127 deaths and according to figures released here by the Guyana Police Force (GPF), there were 65 accidents with 72 deaths during the past 12 months.
Traffic Chief Dion Moore said that “Operation Safeway” had been successful in reducing the carnage on the roads here.
“To date we are at a 22 per cent decrease in accidents and 20 per cent decrease in deaths in comparison to the same period,” he said.
The police said speeding and driving under the influence of alcohol remain the leading cause of accidents on the roadways.
“It is not pleasing but it’s a great achievement and we are looking forward to the continued support from members of the public to further reduce accidents and deaths by the end of this year,” Moore said.
When Safeway was launched, the GPF had already recorded 96 deaths. That was a 33 per cent increase in fatal accidents and a 17 per cent increase in deaths compared to 2015. – CMC