Guyana Authorities Describe as ‘Mischievous and Malicious’ Reports That Councillor Died After Taking Vaccine

0
342

GEORGETOWN, Guyana, Apr 16, CMC – The Guyana government Friday denied as “mischievous and malicious” reports on social media that a Councillor had died after he had been administered the COVID-19 vaccine.

A statement issued by the Ministry of Health said that it had taken note of the “patent misinformation being pedalled in relation to the COVID-19 vaccines by Anti-Vaxxers, particularly in Linden, Region Ten”.

According to the ministry, it wanted to “categorically reject as mischievous and malicious, unsubstantiated claims on social media that Region Ten RDC Councillor, Serjonie ‘Gem’ Narine died after taking the vaccine”

It said that the woman councillor “was not a recipient of any of the three COVID-19 vaccines” being administered by the government.

“The Ministry wishes to state clearly that the COVID-19 vaccines being administered are safe. We are hopeful influential political, faith and business leaders in Region Ten and other parts of the country will use their good offices to encourage citizens to get vaccinated.

“The Government of Guyana, through the Ministry of Health, encourages all Guyanese 18 years and older to visit a vaccination site in their community and get inoculated as soon as possible. These vaccines and others implemented by the government are the only ways n which we can beat the pandemic,” the Ministry said.

On Thursday, Guyana recorded one of the highest numbers of positive COVID-19 infections from a total of 2, 478 tests. The authorities said 153 new cases were recorded, taking the overall number of confirmed cases since March 2020, to 11, 527.

In Region Four where a number of COVID-19 hotspots were identified on the East Bank Demerara, East Coast Demerara and Georgetown, a total of 82 new infections were recorded.

This is followed by Region Three with 31 new cases, Region Nine recorded 10 new cases, Region Seven saw nine new cases while Region Ten recorded seven new cases and Regions One and Two recorded one new case each.

The Ministry of Health earlier on Thursday confirmed the death of a 96-year-old Aishalton, Region Nine resident, taking the country’s death toll to 263.

A total of 135 new recoveries were also recorded, taking the total number of recoveries to 10, 015.

There are 10 patients in the COVID-19 Intensive Care Unit at the Infectious Diseases Hospital, 78 patients are in institutional isolation and 1, 161 patients are in home quarantine.

LEAVE A REPLY