Child Suffers Horrific Death as Father’s Car Explodes


PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad – Three year old, Prince Francette, died at the San Fernando General Hospital on Friday, after he received burns to 100 per cent of his body as he slept in a car that caught fire while his father was fixing the vehicle.

Police said that the father, Justin Francette, 22, was not injured when the vehicle exploded.
Investigators are still trying to piece together the circumstances that led to the tragedy, but the child is reported to have entered the back seat of the vehicle, while his father was doing some modifications to the vehicle that he had recently purchased.

Media reports said that relatives and neighbours of the Central Trinidad town of Tabaquite, had tried to use a garden hose to extinguish the flames in a desperate bid to save the child
One newspaper reported that the child was “unrecognisable as his entire body was burnt”.

Another newspaper said the hor­rif­ic way in which the child lost his life has left the en­tire area of Cito Lane, Tabaquite, where his fa­ther lives, in a state of shock and sad­ness.
The cir­cum­stances sur­round­ing the trag­ic in­ci­dent are not yet clear, but the child was in the back seat of the car while his fa­ther was do­ing some mod­i­fi­ca­tions to the ve­hi­cle.

Neigh­bours said the fa­ther had re­cent­ly pur­chased the old mod­el Nis­san March.
The child’s mother and father were separated. De­scribing him as a sweet­heart in the neigh­bour­hood, a res­i­dent said Prince lived with his moth­er, but would of­ten vis­it his fa­ther.

Another neigh­bour said, “It is re­al­ly ter­ri­ble. It is sad. My heart hurts just think­ing about the pain that child went through.”

Due to the ex­tent of his burns, she was re­lieved that the child was no longer suf­fer­ing.